Mar 112009

If you would be so kind, could you please tell me how YOU spell collectible/collectable.  Don't look it up, just tell me which you use when spelling this word, or if you use them interchangeably.
Thanks!

24 Responses to “Collectible VS. Collectable”

Comments (24)
  1. I spell it ‘collectible’

2. …ible for me.

3. Collectible. I think. :p

4. I use an “i” as well. Although when I interned for a Senator in DC one summer, he received a letter from a woman complaining about a sign at a local store that used “a”. She insisted it was wrong and asked THE SENATOR to do something about it. Honestly, like Senators don’t have something better to do with their time.

5. Collectible

6. That’s weird. They both look right. Don’t you hate that? I vote for the spelling version with an i.

7. COLLECTABLE

8. I think my first instinct would be to spell it Collectable. With an “A”. I would probably justify that it would mean something that is -able to collect-. LOL!

9. with an i.

10. Collectible. But, as far as I remember, I think both are valid spellings. What say you teacher Kristi???

11. with an i.

12. Hm, I think that “collectible” is a noun. Like “those figurines make a lovely set of collectibles.” And I think collectable is an adjective? As in, “those figurines are very collectable.” (an ability to be collected.) Totally guessing here though, I could be all wrong.

13. with the i.

14. Not sure if this is right but this is how I use them. If something is worth keeping, it’s collectable. If I had a group of something I was keeping, I would call them my collectibles. Once you analyze it, they both look wrong.

15. COLLECTABLE, I agree with the theory that collectible being a noun by nature. and collectable being the adjective.

16. Collectible…I can’t recall ever seeing it spelled the other way.

17. Collectible. It doesn’t look right spelled collectable. I used to work in the collectibles market…I hope I spelled it correctly! 🙂

18. collectible is the most common spelling. “Collectable” is a variant spelling, although much less common. Both can be used as adjectives or nouns. If there is one widely accepted, it is “collectible”.

19. thank goodness for this blog…I just had a sign made and used collectables instead of collectibles. I feel better now.

20. I agree with Anne and Dana. I mostly use “collectible” with an “i” but I think that if were to use the word as an adjective, “collectable” with an “a” looks better. i.e. “Price Guides on Collectibles are getting to be very collectable these days”. I bet that screws up some people’s thinking.

21. Collectible is more common in America and Collectable is more common in England.

22. brits versus americans I would say

23. My guess is that “collectible” is somehow more Romance Language and therefore, since 1066 and all that, a higher class form, and that “collectable” is more Anglo Saxonish, and probably a ‘lower class’ usage
    I have asked adjacent antigue shop owners why one spelled his shop a Collectible place and the other spelled his Collectable. Neither had the faintist idea and they were not the only shop owners who could not even begin to offer an explanation. They looked at me as though I were stupid for even asking such a question. So it goes. I don’t even know how to begin to research this. Anyone have any ideas how to track this idiom problem down?

24. Both are valid. Check Oxford Dictionary for commonly used English spelling “collectable” and Webster Dictionary for commonly used US spelling “collectible”. Since it means able to be collected I prefer “collectable” myself. But then I’m from Australia so what would I know.