Jan 242013

I am curious to know what your initial impression is of adults who wear their pajamas out in public??  I am not referring to yoga or sweat pants, I mean actual pajama pants with cartoons or prints on them.

I think its no secret that I work at an inner-city school and many of our families are very poor.  Is this an excuse to wear pajamas to your child’s school??  I know I am not yet a mom so maybe it is unfair of me to judge, but I see it as laziness or lack of hygiene or low class or who knows what.  All I know is that it bugs me.  If you want to wear your pajamas around your own house all day…. cool!!! But wearing them out in public is a no-no that you will never catch me displaying.  I vow to always put on a pair of jeans and a clean shirt.  Make up too!!! Some of you moms might be laughing at me right now, thinking I am unrealistic but I feel pretty strongly about this and will most definitely stick to my guns.  I wouldn’t be caught dead out and about in my pajamas.

How about you?? Would you wear pajamas out in public? What do you think of others who wear them out in public??

Posted by at 7:15 am

6 Responses to “Thoughts for Thursday: Adults Who Wear Pajamas in Public”

Comments (6)
  1. Heck yeah, I wear my yoga pants to Target all the time! Now, if I’m going to school, or for an oil change, or an actual grocery shopping trip, I usually put on jeans and a clean shirt and do my makeup, but if I were just dropping the kids off, who cares? I see plenty of middle class/higher class moms around here doing the same and I am willing to be their hygiene is just fine. You must be like your mom, she doesn’t even wear sweatpants at home, she hates sweatpants LOL! Me, I LOVE them!

2. Lol. Talk to me after you’ve had your baby. You aren’t going to leave your pj’s for days. Not that I was in public but I know that I couldn’t even wear a shirt for weeks because my boobs hurt so bad from breast feeding. HAHA

Oh and I am not ashamed to wear my pj’s up the gas station. I just don’t care what people think. I wouldn’t wear them to Jake’s school though.

3. I’m with you- totally tacky. Which is why yoga pants and work-out type comfy pants were the best inventions EVER, because you can throw those on and feel like you’re wearing pajamas, but they’re more fitted and usually black, so they look much nicer. My typical school drop off outfit is to change out of my pajama pants after I get up and throw on whichever dirty pair of yoga pants is on the floor:) Shirt doesn’t matter because the coat never comes off.

4. I wear my PJ’s A LOT. when kid #3 came along its been pj’s ever since. Lol. BUT, I don’t actually get out if my car in them. If I have to run into the school or store i will throw on jeans or yoga pants. But for carpool, I don’t get actually dressed. And yes, it’s laziness. It’s just too much when I have to get four little people out the door!!!
    But honestly, it doesn’t bother me when I see moms at a school in them. I get it, there are mornings when it’s a choice between getting there on time, or getting yourself dressed. Now, out at the store? In the middle if the day? That I don’t get.

5. If I’m actually going IN to my son’s school, I’ll put real pants on. But I have been known to wear PJs to just drop him off. Also, my BFF and I pick up her niece from cheer practice on Wednesday nights. Most of the time we’re both in PJs, but again, we’re not getting out of the car.

6. I lived in yoga pants for at least two weeks after S came. The thought of wearing jeans was too painful. Now, I do wear pjs around the house for the majority of the day, but now I will throw on jeans when I run to the store.